Born 1978: Puerto Rico
2005 M.F.A., Photography, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, California.
2002 B.A., European History, University of Puerto Rico (Rio Piedras) San Juan, Puerto Rico.
SOLO EXHIBITIONS AND TWO PERSON SHOWS
2014 Maintenance Yard, Romer Young Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2011 Jet Travel, Romer Young Gallery, San Francisco CA
2010 Marco Polo, ATA Window Gallery, San Francisc,o, CA
2009 Primero la caja, Galería de la Raza, San Francisco, CA
2009 Pablo Guardiola and Haden Nicholl, little tree gallery, San Francisco, CA 2008 little tree gallery, San Francisco, CA
2007 Read, read, re-read, little tree gallery, San Francisco, CA
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS, PUBLIC INSTALLATIONS & PROJECTS 2016 Radical Landscapes, di Rosa, Napa, CA
2015 He put a hot fish in her navel, Embajada, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2014 Punctum, Salzburger Kunstverein Künstlerhaus, Salzburg, Austria
Landlessness, Ortega y Gasset Projects, Queens, New York
This is Not America: Resistance, Protest and Poetics, ASU Art Museum, Phoenix, Arizona
2013 Twisted Sisters: Reimaging Urban Portraiture // 2013 Sister City Exchange: San Francisco Zurich
co-organized & curated by The San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery, Zurich / San Francisco
With Cinderblocks We Flatten Our Photographs, Romer Young Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2012 Lightness of Being, Present Co., Brooklyn, NY
Finos Detalles, Ruth’s Table. San Francisco, CA
FAX, San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery, San Francisco, CA 2011 The Life of Objects, Vogt Gallery, New York, NY
Sonido Pirata: What You Need You Have to Borrow, Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Sonoma, California. 2011 Passport 2011 (in the Castro), Organized by The San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery, San Francisco, CA Living Room (curated by Joey Piziali and Vanessa Blaikie), Park Life, San Francisco, CA.
Espacio entre medio, Chemi's Room, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2010 A feast of fools, Second Floor, Brooklyn, New York, NY
Galería 4.0, A Retrospective, Galería de la Raza, San Francisco, CA
Chain Reaction 11, San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2009 Home is something I carry with me (curated by Adrienne Skye Roberts), 3352 24th St, San Francisco, CA
Nothing, Jancar Jones Galley, San Francisco, CA
Tomorrow (organized by James Tantum), Steven Wolf Fine Arts, San Francisco, CA
Segunda Trienal Poli/Gráfica de San Juan: América Latina y el Caribe (with Julio César Morales), San Juan, Puerto Rico
2008 Estación Odesia; Bay Area Now 5, Queen's Nails Annex for Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA Linc Art at FEMACO, Mexico City, Mexico
2007 little tree gallery at Aqua Art Fair, Aqua Hotel, Miami, FL LTC plus one, M1 Gallery, San Francisco, CA
2006 Nuevas voces en la fotografía, Museo de Arte Contemporáneo, San Juan, Puerto Rico it’s the little things, 1110 Howard, San Francisco, CA
Contracted Library, New Langton Arts (Musée D’Honneur Minuscule), San Francisco, CA
2005 Feel at Home, 375 South Van Ness, San Francisco, CA
Photo San Francisco, Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA
Master of Fine Arts Exhibition (SFAI), Fort Mason, San Francisco, CA
2002 Third Biennial of Photography, Arsenal de la Marina, San Juan, Puerto Rico
• Genevive Quick,“Maintenance Yard”, Art Practical/Shotgun Reviews, September, 2014
• Maloney, Patricia, “With Cinder Blocks We Flatten Our Photographs at Romer Young Gallery”, Dailyserving, July 24, 2013. • Hotchkiss, Sarah, “Unflattened Photographs at Romer Young”, KQED Arts, July 8, 2013.
• Ruiz, José, “Virtual Handshakes: Ruiz-Guardiola”, Wow Huh, Summer 2012.
• Melendez, Franklin, "Pablo Guardiola", Artforum, Summer 2011.
• Brown, Brandon, "Jet Travel", Art Practical (2.14 / Helter Skelter), March, 2011.
• Baker, Kenneth, “Guardiola en route", SF Chronicle, March 26, 2011.
• Wong Yap, Chrisinte."Best of: Christine Wong Yap. The first issue year." Art Practical, August, 2010
• Acevedo, Carla. "Pablo Guardiola." Dawire.com, August, 2010
• Baker, Kenenth."Connecting enigmatic dots in S.F. art show."SF Chronicle, Jan. 16, 2010
• Wong Yap, Christine."Primero la Caja.” Art Practical/Shotgun Reviews, December 2009
• Vogel, Traci. "Primero la Caja: Pablo Guardiola.” SF Weekly, December 11, 2009
• Swanhuyser, Hiya."Thinking Inside the Box.” SF Weekly, November 25, 2009
• Swanhuyser, Hiya."Ins-doll-ation.” SF Weekly, March 18, 2009
• Helfand, Glen. Critics’ Picks: Pablo Guardiola. Artforum (online), February, 2008
• Baker, Kenneth. "Guardiola at littletree.” SF Chronicle, February 9, 2008
• Jancarm, Ava. "Pablo Guardiola, Review", by Ava Jancar, Bay Guardian, January 30, 2008
• Harmanci, Reyhan. "Tape it, Show it.” SF Chronicle: 96 Hours, November 9, 2006
• Pagán, Pedro López."A fondo: Nuevas voces.” Primera Hora, June 15, 2006
Curating Beyond Exhibition Making / Curatorial Intensive. Independent Curators International, New York. Fall 2012. • The Harbor at Beta-Local. San Juan, Puerto Rico, November-December resident, 2011.
AWARDS AND GRANTS
2012 Alternative Exposure Grant (Round 6), Southern Exposure, San Francisco, CA.
2009 Artadia Award San Francisco finalist
2009 Individual Artist Commission (Cultural Equity Grant), San Francisco Arts Commission, San Francisco, CA 2004 Teacher Assistantship for Amy Ellingson, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA
2004 MFA Merit Scholarship, San Francisco Art Institute, San Francisco, CA
Honorary Mention in the Third Biennial of Photography, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2002 UNESCO’s Levi Marrero Award for Undergraduate History Student, UPR, San Juan, Puerto Rico